top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureVesela Georgieva

Sleeve gastrectomy - surgical reduction of stomach volume by 80%


A sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure, part of a broad spectrum of operations used for the treatment of obesity. In this technique, about 80% of the stomach volume is removed, creating a new, smaller stomach, with the remaining 20% being preserved.

This surgery is performed to reduce the risk of complications associated with obesity and the accompanying diseases that can pose a threat to a patient's life. Undeservedly low self-esteem and long-term health risks such as heart disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and even cancer are among the problems that obesity can contribute to.

The sleeve gastrectomy procedure is performed under general anesthesia. The evening before the surgery, the patient must refrain from eating and drinking for about 8 hours. With the help of a laparoscope (a small camera) and special surgical tools, several small incisions are made in the upper part of the abdomen. Then, about 80% of the stomach is removed, creating a gastric sleeve that resembles the shape of a banana. The operation usually lasts about 1-2 hours, after which the incisions are closed.

After the procedure, the patient typically stays in the hospital for a period of up to 4 days, depending on their individual condition.

The sleeve gastrectomy has several advantages. It significantly helps reduce food intake, leading to quicker satiation and less food consumption. This can result in gradual weight loss and an improvement in the patient's health condition.

This intervention is recommended when conservative weight loss methods have been unsuccessful or when obesity poses a serious health risk. Sleeve gastrectomy may be suitable for individuals who need a substantial reduction in body weight to improve their overall health and reduce the risk of various diseases. If you need additional information or have specific questions, or if you want to inquire about a particular medical intervention, please don't hesitate to contact us via our contact details, which you can find on our website. Our representatives will be delighted to assist you and answer all your questions.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comentarios


bottom of page